Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reflection:
Both f2f and online courses have a tendency to be teacher-directed, teacher-driven, and teacher information dumping grounds. I have been on a campaign for the past two years to bring our science teachers into an awareness and practice of inquiry science where they allow students to ask the questions, design experimental labs, do more collaboration in the process, and present their findings to their peers. The assessments and teachers strategies must change in these environments. As of today, I would estimate we are 80% on the static side and 20% of our strategies are dynamic. I would like to see this reverse, but need to take baby steps in making it happen. Experimental design and science projects have already been integrated in a three week full-time block of our high school science curriculum; we are continuing to add more robotics problem-solving teams each year; and currently, I am piloting a MUVE (the River City Project) in a middle school classroom along with continuing science teacher professional development in inquiry .

5 comments:

  1. Hi Marlene.

    I am with you! F2F and online courses should be teacher directed. We as teachers went into the profession to instill others with essential information in our disciplines. I teach totally by inquiry. I use web quests which drive my curriculum as UbD-Understanding by design. I am fortunate in my school to have all the technology needed to provide students with accessibility to the wealth of information that is out there.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy, I hope you meant student-centered, not teacher-directed??? Sounds like that is what you are practicing!! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marlene,
    I like how you propose that content can be dynamic when it is learner developed. From the student as a recipient of information do you think that simulations are valid media for dynamic learning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marlene, A job well done on your concept mapping. Further, I agree that in order for a positive social change to take effect, we must take it slow and educate our educators. It appears that we are more static and that we must allow our scholarly voice to be heard through the learning of our students. Any thoughts?

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marlene: You say you need to take baby steps to embrace the dynamic technologies. What are these baby steps and how would they impact your learners?

    ReplyDelete